The Freeport area had its first settlers about 1830 when early Walton County pioneers were attracted to the natural waterways of the area. Many different families established “landings” along the waterways of LaGrange Bayou, Mallet Bayou, and Four Mile Creek.
A post office was established in Freeport on June 7, 1871. At that time there was even a boardwalk connecting downtown Freeport with the mill at Beatrice Point. The waterfront was very busy. Steamboats came and went on a regular schedule. However, the coming of the railroad and “timbering out” of the land brought Freeport’s population down from more than 1,000 in 1925 to the tenacious hundreds who stayed during the depression.
The City of Freeport was incorporated on July 10, 1963, in order to receive tax revenue from the State of Florida to help pay for the purchase of a fire truck. The structure of the government is a mayor and five seated council members. Each term is 2 years in length with jagged seat terms. Currently Mickey Marse is the Mayor and Council members are Jean Arrant, Ray Jackson, Mike Helton, Earl King and Janice McLean. There are approximately 15 City employees within general administration, water and the sewer department.
Today, the City of Freeport again has more than 1,200 residents. The City provides water and sewer service to our citizens and the surrounding area. In the summer of 2005 the City plans on opening the first public swimming pool facility in town and the County. Freeport has received several commitments from Industrial business, commercial businesses and residential developers that will be locating in Freeport in the near future. The word is OUT, Freeport will soon become the paradise for the average income family to live and raise their children. There are a dozen churches and a variety of locally owned businesses located in the community.
For more information about the City of Freeport, please contact Freeport City Hall by phone at 850-835-2822 or by visiting www.freeportflorida.gov.